Sunday, October 12, 2008

Traditions

On Friday afternoon we decided last minute to take a trip to Utah. A couple of hours later we hit the road to arrive just in time to put the kids to bed. We went so that we could spend some time with Chris's family...his mom flew in & originally was going to come to Idaho. So after a quick weekend we ended up bringing my niece & nephew home with us. It was a fun ride home with four little ones in a mini van (we borrowed Jenna's.) We hit snow, listened to all four (landon included) in a hollering match, & fighting over books & toys.

When we got home my amazing parents brought us dinner & a special surprise for Chris. First off my parents are the most generous people that I know. I have six siblings & they work so hard to do & give to all of us. As Jenna said on her blog at Fathers Day's, Spring Cleaning for my parents means cleaning out their pockets & giving it to their children. It's the small things that they give that means so much & this was one of them. Chris special surprise was a tradition that my dad shared with him. My dad originally was going to do this with Chris on Saturday morning but he so kindly waited since we left to Utah unexpectedly. He gave Chris his first gun...Chris has never hunted. My dad has given each of his sons their first gun when they went on their first hunting trip as did his dad to him. My dad wanted to share this with Chris. He loves Chris so much & is such a good example & such a wonderful father figure. Now on a different note, I'm hoping they don't catch ANYTHING. I just can't bring myself to eat the meat...last year they gave their elk away to a family that needed the meat. We'll see what this year holds for them. In the picture you can see the grandsons (Jaden & Easton) scoping it out. Maybe their future holds a gun too.

4 comments:

Brittney said...

What's wrong with deer and elk meat? Who cares that we saw their bodies dangling from the garage...why should that stop you for wanting to devour them...NOT!!! :) What a fun thing for dad and Chris though! I guess this means that Chris is the favorite son-in-law. I am sure Matt will be very jealous when I tell him that dad bought Chris a gun. :)

Jenna Johnson said...

sick, to Brittney's description of what it was like!! I knew it was a gun!! I sure hope Easton doesn't pick up the hunting bug!! I can't stand it!

DPies said...

Chris has a gun?!?!? I never thought I would see the day! Chris is looking a little smaller these days. Miss you guys!

Lorie said...

He can come hunting on "R" mountain! ha, ha. I did some canning today... it's a valuable skill but a BIG MESS!! Uuuug! Keep in touch.