Thursday, February 26, 2009

The art of eating VEGGIES

I want my boys to eat healthy so they'll be healthy. That task is much easier said then done. Landon would probably be willing to eat about anything but that is a bigger challenge since he can't eat everything due to the fact that food is a choking hazzard. Today my day consisted of projects & I plain & simply did not prepare dinner. I usually pre-plan meals for the week & pull meat out of the freezer in the morning so that it will be ready for me to prepare in the afternoon. So at 5pm this evening Jaden declared he was hungry & Landon was cranky. Trying to think what leftovers were in the fridge I realized that there wasn't enough for everyone. Jaden then declared he wanted Waffles. About two months ago Jaden had a love obsession with pancakes & I was a little worried of what his diet would consist of if all he ate was pancakes so I then decided it was time for creativity. I started making whole wheat pancakes with carrots ground up in it. The great thing about this was a popped leftovers in the fridge & it was a wonderful snack for Landon...carrots are ground therefore there is no choking hazzard. So this evening we altered the recipe for waffles & behold I once again fooled my children into eating healthy. They even both skipped the sugar-free syrup.

I've used this same little trick in recipes including meat loaf & homemade apple sauce. I don't have a problem eating my veggies so I usually elect to eat the non-veggie versions. So here's to tricking my kids into eating their veggies & loving it.

3 comments:

Brittney said...

I NEED that recipe. My kids love pancakes as well. I usually throw a bunch of blueberries in the batter but I've never thought of carrots although we all love carrots so I'm sure that would fly at our house. Seriously, email me the recipe.

One of the tricks we tried when Kaleb was little and wouldn't eat veggies is to puree green beans into the spaghetti sauce. He had no clue and ate it just as normal.

Another thing I do is throw carrots and lettuce into smoothies. Lettuce really doesn't have a taste and the carrots just add a little sweetness that the kids can't recognize. Just mix it with all the normal fruits. It's tasty!

Lorie said...

I love it! Thanks for the tip, I will attempt to trick my kids as well. :)

Nield Moments said...

Such a great idea!