Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Random thoughts...

I've noticed today that I've had about a million different thoughts running through my head. Those of you that know me really well know that I'm using thinking about the next thing when I'm in a conversation...apparently I have a mind that doesn't stop.

This morning as I was working out I caught the news. I've actually have avoided the news overall & have tried not to be too discouraged by what is happening in our economy. Locally there are some troubling investment reports of 60 million just lost in this area alone. I know that another stimulus is being discussed & pushed for approval...I personally disagree. I'm concerned where all this money is going to come from. I'm concerned the government is too involved, ect. Although I was encouraged by the decision to put a cap of $500,000 on the salary of top execs at the bailed out banks. My only concern is that they are living the lifestyle of something so much more & can't get out of mortgages & other responsibilities.

That then led me to begin thinking about living within our means. About a month ago Chris & I sat down & talked about where we'd like to be financially before he leaves to Twin Falls. In that market he doesn't make as much & we want to make sure we are rely on saving, not debt to get through those months of less income. We made a goal & we both agreed that it was a little over zealous but we'd shoot for it. This last weekend I started looking at his bonus & commission that will be coming in the next couple of months & I realized (crossing my fingers) that we were going to exceed this goal. It's so easy for thoughts to pop in my head of different ways we could spend this income. New carpet for example...my carpet is pretty gross. I used to have less self control & probably would be buying new carpet, new furniture, some other wants, but I'm starting to realize to be content & grateful for what I have. I have two boys, would new carpet really be a wise purchase anyways??? This way I can let them have fun & my mom seriously shampoos it every couple of months. It's clean...that I know:)

Some evenings I look around & am amazed at our blessings. I don't like to talk about how much people earn but I've become aware of something very important this last year. Chris's income is much higher since we moved here, mine is gone. Our AGI this year was $25,000 less (this was due to my lost income). I was shocked...I haven't felt like we've made any sacrifices. We've definately make much wiser financial decisions, stuck to a strict budget, & I think most of all, not giving into splurges. I have a lot I want to do to my house, my clothes are in bad shape (I tell myself I'll get new ones when I lose weight), I don't spoil the boys except on special occassions, we plan one special night out a week as a family or date night, we don't eat bread very often & it goes moldy so I make bread if we need some for something, those are just some of the changes. AND I'm a couponer now.

I share this only because it involves my thoughts lately. My goals, where I want to be. I feel fortunate amongst these rough times to be doing ok & I think they'll continue to be rough for awhile.

Now onto funny & less serious topics.

Jaden is a funny boy & makes me laugh. Lately he's starting talking in his sleep & the other night at 3am in the morning he yelled out 5 more minutes. He a huge phrase copier & I realized that he's heard Chris on enough occassions to know that he got that phrase from him. Every morning Chris wants to sleep for just "5 more minutes." After him saying this a couple of times I wondered if he thought it was alomst time to get up but he was completely asleep.

Then the other day I was meeting Chris & he was running late. I was frustrated & left him a message on his phone that consisted of "Chris, where are you? We are waiting for you." Jaden then informs me not to be upset & that dad would be there in 2 minutes. Believe it or not that is exactly when Chris showed up.

And last of all...although I have a bunch of other things to share including the thems of my ward party for Friday; I'll be glad for it to be over.

I've been doing menu planning every week & all the recipes are low cal, low fat, healthy. Some have been a disaster but I have one to share that made my mouth water. Chris said he liked it too although he might have just been humoring me. This recipes has 127 cal per serving w/ 4.5 grams of fat. Not bad. Here it is...I altered a little just because I didn't have all the ingredients. I used regular onions & the dried parmesan cheese & didn't use the pimento peppers.

Chicken Parmesan Spinach
INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 tablespoon chopped pimento peppers
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a small bowl combine cheese and seasoning. Roll chicken pieces in cheese mixture to coat lightly. Set remaining cheese mixture aside. Arrange coated chicken pieces in an 8x8x2 inch baking dish.
In a small saucepan, saute green onion in butter/margarine until tender. Stir in flour, then add milk all at once. Simmer, stirring, until bubbly. Stir in drained spinach and pimiento and mix together. Spoon spinach mixture over chicken and sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture. Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes or until tender and chicken juices run clear.

That's enough random thoughts for today.

5 comments:

Brittney said...

Oddly enough I have all of those ingredients. I will have to try it out tomorrow night. Sounds yummy!

As for the thoughts on finances, I also have felt so grateful to have not given in to all of my wants in the past. It's so satisfying to know that we don't have to worry so much during tough times in the economy. That's definitely not to say we're rolling in the dough but I don't have to stress about it all the time. It feels nice!

And yes, I am sure your carpets are sqeaky clean. I wish I had mom around. She sure would come in handy right about now!:)

Jenna Johnson said...

Amen on the carpets! I need to be better about not splurging! You are way better then me!! I'll try this recipe also!

Ande said...

It seems like my mind goes in a million directions as well. I agree with the carpet, when you are done having kids is the time to get new stuff. We are doing the same thing with our table and chairs and mostly anything else. They are hard on stuff and I figure when I buy something nice I am going to want to keep it that way for years to come so why waste the money now when the kids can do something to it. I am on the same page with the clothes, I can't buy anything new until I lose some weight. Ug. :) That doesn't include some shoes though. :)

Holly said...

I loved your random thoughts and I say AMEN to you economy blurb! I think it relieves our spouses when we are wise with money. They feel a respect from us when we incorporate thrift into our lifestyles and make their hard earned dollars stretch. What a great wife you are!
I love the story about Jaden, she sounds like such a sweetie!
Thanks for the recipe idea, I am always looking and it makes my mouth water...getting close to lunch for me here...

Lorie said...

Maybe this poor economy is what we need to realize how wasteful and frivilous our society has become. I love trying being cheap, eating cheap, and trying to save money. I appreciate your thoughts on this. It's hard because it makes me want to hold on to money with an iron fist but spending is really what helps the economy as a whole. I agree that this is just the beginning... may we all weather this in stride & count our blessings.