Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A day of Presidents

I wasn't planning on watching any of the coverage of President-Elect Obama being sworn into office but I couldn't help be drawn to the coverage while I was at the gym today. Days like today make my heart swell...I saw UNITY. What a wonderful sight. As I saw past Presidents & Vice-Presidents walking together I caught my breath (not good when I was already out of breath)from their service to our country. It doesn't mean that I agree with every decision they made but they did provide service & do what they felt was best for our country. I found comfort in President George H.W Bush & President Clinton taking a moment to be together. Two men opposite in every way now being friends & united.

Yesterday Chris got a call about a meeting that he'd be having first thing this morning. Those kind of calls make me nervous since so many jobs are being lost at the present time. With relief he called me at the gym to inform me that he made President Club with his company. Only those top ranked at Yellow Book get this honor & I'm so proud of him. He didn't get ranked exactly where he wanted so he was a little disappointed but this is a huge accomplishment. Chris has his eye on some elite sales jobs that he tells me he need to make President Club at least twice before he can even be eligible to apply so we're on our way. Chris started working for Yellow Book at the end of 2007 so this was his first year that he was able to compete & he made it. Chris has worked by the philosophy that it was more important to be honest & sale them only what they need then to oversale for his benefit. He shared a story of a women he was meeting with that started crying & informed Chris she was at the point in her business where she had to choose which bills to pay. She asked Chris to be honest & tell her what she should do. Chris informed her where it would be best to advertise (this included his competitors) & where she shouldn't so that she could maximize both her coverage & her dollar. Sales can be very corrupt & I'm glad that Chris recognizes that it's more important to be honest then on top...oh wait, he's both:):):) Congrats!!!! Maybe we'll see a post from you shortly.

6 comments:

Lorie said...

That is so cool. Way to go, Chris. Honesty is the best policy. Too bad not everyone has your same philosopy.

Brittney said...

That's exciting and quite an accomplishment for Chris. Do they treat you guys to a trip or a banquet or anything for making President's Club? If so, don't bank on it, you know how our trip turned out (or should I say DIDN'T turn out. :( It's quite an accomplishment either way!

And I agree on the coverage of the inaguration. It was a nice sight to see a country unified. At the Inaguration luncheon Pres. Obama and John McCain embraced and I started crying (as I was folding laundry)...pathetic, I know! :)

Holly said...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as Britt, do you get a trip? I think everyone is holding their breath in this economy. My dad told me that these are times you focus on keeping your job and at whatever sacrifice you have to make, make it to keep you job. Sad times....but great to see many are still thriving and doing well! Congrats to your husband!

Holly said...

PS Britt, our trip got cancelled too... : (

Kim said...

Yellow Book does do a trip...it goes to the top 1% I think??? It was to the Bahamas & that is one reason why Chris was disappointed. He took the last two weeks of the year off because he'd lose his vacation days. Apparently that is when he got passed for the trip.

As far as we know the trip hasn't been cancelled. Chris will get a bunch of stuff with president club emblems on it & that sort of thing. His office if they hit there #'s usually gets a smaller trip once a year (Jackson Hole last year) but I'm not sure if that will happen.

The economy kind of leaves everything in the air. I guess we'll wait & see:)

Maegan said...

Yee Ha Chris! That is fantastic! When we move down to I.F we have got to start working out together. I have got the good eating habits down, now I just have to get going on the exercise part now.

I didn't watch any of the presidentual coverage. I was gone all day, and didn't even DVR it!