Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Calling for YOUR ideas

So I feel like life is crazy with working out every morning (new years resolution), cooking healthy meals (that's one too:)), my sister being in town with her two kids, making homemade baby food (won't always be busy but I'm trying to come up with healthy alternative for landon), the everyday responsibilities, plus taxes in the evening. So on Sunday you'd be surprised that I was kind of excited about my new calling.

I've know for about a month I was getting a new calling because they didn't assign me a new class for the new year but they did Chris so I just kept waiting to see what it would be. I was VERY worried I was going to be called as choir director & that is ABSOLUTELY the last calling I'd ever want; I don't lead...everyone assumes I do. So when I met with my Bishop I was excited to hear him say Activities Chairman & not Choir Director. Then he went on to tell me that there is no committee & that we have an activity on Feb 6th & they were thinking a dinner. Ok...so here's where i need your help.

I've already called all the auxillary Presidents to tell them that I want a rep from their auxillary to assist (small responsibilities, they are already so busy). These past couple of days I've been thinking as I've been running around & here's what I've come up with BUT I'm so new to this & some of you may have done something in your own ward that was a success.

Chicken Fettucini (anyone have an easier yummy main dish?)
Breadsticks from Olive Garden
Salad
Cheese cake & chocolate fountain

I need a game or activity....HELP!!!

I also need help with decoration ideas.

And I should mention that I haven't been given a budget but assume I'm ok since it's the beginning of the year.

PLUS to top it all off I always promised my 8 year old class if they'd ALL bring their scriptures we'd have a party. I gave them one last chance last week even though I wasn't their teacher & you wouldn't believe it but they came through...so a party at my house tomorrow night. I told Jaden it's for him...he's pretty excited.

7 comments:

Holly said...

I love that you told your son that the party is for him. So many times I dont' include my family on the church callings and I should! Good job!
Well I think you need to call Britt, she is so talented at Ward activities! If it is just couples my mom and dad's ward did the newlywed game... or you could do a mini game show or mystery dinner for something LDS or scripture oriented.... There are my thinking abilities...like I said try Britt!

Holly said...

PS You are way creative too but if you need help I meant that Britt is the girl to help! ; )

Nield Moments said...

JR & I actually had this calling once and one of the biggest hits was our "Valentine's Social". It was for couples only and we had a light dinner, a choc fountain (great minds think alike! ;D) and then we played an LDS version of the newlywed game. Everyone LOVED it! We even had a couple of couples who had been in the ward for years tell us that was their favorite activity ever! We also did prizes, only they were things like a candle lit dinner for two (it was a bday candle, 2 plastic spoons & a can of Spaghetti-Os) or a new home computer (a dollar store calculator) I think I still have the questions saved on my computer if your interested.

I will have to do some thinking and let you know any other ideas we did. We weren't in that calling too long, but we did do a few activities.

You will be awesome at that calling!!! (Sorry to get so long winded!)

Maegan said...

Sounds like you are a busy lady! One of my friends said she made homemade baby food and froze it in an ice cube tray; then would defrost it. Thought it sounded like a good idea, but I am not as ambitious as you! As for the game, thats a toughie. Have to think about that. Good Luck!

Ande said...

The food sounds good. Lasy year ours did a chocolate fountain with all kinds of things to dip, it was yummy. Is this for the whole family or just couples, because ours was also a dance. Maybe it would be fun to get the cheesy valentines pics taken. I love them, they are always fun to look back on. Good luck.

Lorie said...

Oooohh, Can I come, too? Sounds awesome. You did a fabulous job w/ activities in our Rexburg ward, you'll have no problem. (That's been my favorite calling in the past.) If you don't feel like coming up with a game, people just enjoy visiting. Again that would be my cop-out but we Mormons never lack for the "gift of gab". Good luck!

Brittney said...

I love italian. Can I come? :) Where you are doing the italian theme, you could always do the red/white ginham checkered table cloths (they have plastic ones). We did this theme for a ward dinner and it seemed like they did baskets with artificial grapes in them(?), and the loaves of french bread were at the tables as part of the centerpiece (people cut their own and ate it there). There were twinkly lights everywhere with Italian music in the background. That's about all I can remember though. Good luck! You are very talented so I know you can pull it off but don't go overboard. All the little details that you spend SO much time doing, usually don't even get noticed when there's so many people there.

BTW, I went to call you on your b-day while we were out to the movies but I realized I don't have your phone number saved in my new phone. Would you email it to me. Thanks, Britt