Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Reflecting

Thanksgiving is such a wonderful time to reflect on all that we are grateful for & to spend time with those that we love. As I was thinking about our past Thanksgivings I remember Jaden's first one. I think that it was my favorite in my married life for several reasons. First, I had my first child & second, it's the first & only Thanksgiving I've ever hosted. After I had a little one I felt like a little family & I wanted to make sure Jaden's first Thanksgiving was a special one. Traditionaly we've spent Thanksgiving with Chris's family and we've eaten at a Restaurant....it definately makes the day less stressful & lets me prep for the Sales.

On J's first Thanksgiving I really wanted to host. I wanted to make a turkey, stuffing, potatoes, pies, all of it. So we invited all of his family to come to our home. This was also our first year in our old house which made me even more excited.

On Thanksgiving day his brother & family ended up staying in Seattle but we still had a special day with yummy food (we smoked a turkey, try it, it is the best). That morning Jaden's little girlfriend Emma (pictured at top) came over with her mom, dad, & grandpa from Japan. I really enjoyed meeting June's (my friends) Dad. He was so in awe of everything & it made me appreciate it all the more. They didn't join of for dinner but spent some time visiting. Notice Emma's cute little poncho...they really got into the spirit.

We had another couple over, Chris sister Tara & her son Anthony & Chris' mom so it was small compared to what I grew up with but very fun. Outside had a fresh layer of snow & it was beautiful to see. I gave Jaden just a little bit of mashed potatoes because he was so young & it gave him a tummy ache. We had pushed his high chair next to the table so that he got to take it all in.

At 5am I hit the stores the next day & met up with June. Her dad had decided he really wanted to check out how crazy us American's are so he shopped with us too. It was so fun to watch him take it all in. He had a blast & even did some of his own shopping.

Last Thanksgiving was special too. I'm grateful that after years of not going to Thanksgiving on my side of the family that this year we did. This was my grandpas last Thanksgiving with us. There were 99 (I think this # is right) that gathered in my grandparents home. All 99 of us were either children, grandchildren, or great grandchildren of them plus spouses. This is how large their family is & how close they are. All their children were there & I think only a couple of grandchildren were missing. The Hendricks Family is soooo fun & we spent the rest of the afternoon laughing & sharing stories & it was wonderful.

Just today I'm thankful for the following:
-A baby that slept until 5 am (6 am if you don't consider the time change.)
-That we get to vote & that we live in free country.
-That Jaden is perfect with directions & told me exactly how to get to Walmart today. This gives me comfort that if anyone ever took him & they didn't get too far that'd he find his way home.
-That my husband provides for our family & scored a BIG one today.
-That I didn't wonder how I was going to pay for our groceries & that I even could afford to Jaden a special surprise.
-That I have a mamma van that gets me where I need to go & that I don't worry about getting stranded (I did almost lose my keys at the store though...that could have made for a bad day.)
-I'm going to turn this negative into a positive=Chris is working out of town these next two weeks & when he's gone I have more time. I have a few extra things these two weeks so i'm grateful for extra time.
-When we arrive home I was welcomed to a very toasty home. It's freezing outside so this is a wonderful thing.
-For all of our friends & family. This time of year is so wonderful to get together & share traditions.

I'm sure as Thanksgiving approaches I'll continue to reflect on all that I'm grateful for. Maybe late tonight if I like what the news tells me:)

P.S....if you are wonderfing why the pictures are kind of funny & not clear. I haven't found the CD to our scanner since we've moved & I didn't keep the electronic file so these are a picture of a picture. I'm grateful I found a way to improvise.

4 comments:

Brittney said...

I miss the day after thanksgiving shopping madness. It's just not the same without my family!

I need to take some time to reflect on why I am thankful. I don't do it often enough. Unfortunately, it looks like you won't have the opportunity to be thankful for the elections tonight. At least it's not looking that way right now. :(

Holly said...

Kimri, you are such a sweetheart! I love your list of thankfulness...although I do have to agree with Britt on the election tonight, though but I will play the glad game and say..........................................................well I will keep thinking so I can sound more optimistic about the results......how about the church is still true! ; ) I am so thankful though for your talents and my new blog photo! I just love it!
I too look forward to the day after Thanksgiving sales!!

Anonymous said...

ACtually Kimri was being kinda modest. Anything we have great in our lives is as a result of her. I Very much appreciate her blog, It really helps me stay connected while I am on the road. I am truly the blessed one to have a wonderful wife and two wonderful Boys.

Chris(Kimri's Husband

Charayne said...

You are so darling and we do have so much to be thankful for. Thank you for the reminder. I just think it would be awesome to host Thanksgiving. I look forward to that someday!