Sunday, November 9, 2008

Moving Forward

I hope to make this an uplifting & non-offensive post. I've heard some interesting opinions post election that I wanted to share. It's so important that our country moves forward & that we unite.

1. I never watch The View but it seems like there is tidbits of their show replayed on some of the news shows because of their extreme differences regarding political views. It seems like the Co-Hosts on the view (minus Elizabeth) aren't huge Bush Supporters & have some very negative things to say about him (again, I never watch so I'm relying on the news for this portrayal.) As I caught 5 minutes the other day Barbara Walters said something very interesting. She said that when the Clinton Administration left the White House they left in anger & cut phone lines, made a mess of the White House & made a difficult transition for the Bush Administration to come in. She mentioned this because she was impressed how gracious President Bush has been to invite the Obama family to come & visit so that the girls are comfortable when they move in. I didn't give it a lot of thought until Barbara mentioned this but THIS IS IMPORTANT. We don't want President-Elect Obama to have to have a long transition. He needs to be able to take action immediately & not miss a step & how wonderful (so far) that President Bush is helping him to do this.

2. A caller called one of the radio programs the other day & made a comment that helped me realize I was wrong in my thinking. He said "I don't want Obama to fail." Failure means that our economy continues to struggle, jobs continue to be lost, distrust & anger will surround our country. We should hope & pray that he succeeds & put aside our personal differences. I was originally wrong....we need to support him & hope that he takes our country in the direction that we need to go.

3. This may be the most controversial issue that we saw this election. The initiative in California to define the definition of marriage (I'm not listing the proposition for fear of google searchers.) I hope that those disappointed in the results can realize that it wasn't an anti-gay initiative but an intiative to define that marriage is between a man and a women. I hope that this issue & anger can be laid to rest so that we can come together & support one another. I hope that those who did support this proposition did so for the right reason & not because of hatred & intolerance. The beauty of our electoral system is that it was put to a vote by the people & the people have spoken. I can't think of anything more fair then that.

4 comments:

Holly said...

WOW! Thank you! I needed to read that and stop my ranting and raving...thanks again. : )

Jenna Johnson said...

Well put!!! If only I could put my words in such a way, maybe I wouldn't get called names!

Nield Moments said...

So well written. I wish I could put my thoughts into words like you can! I too needed to read this so I can try and put things back into perspective. Thanks!

(Regarding your post on mine, I know it is such a pain with mine being private! Don't worry I don't expect anyone to look at it that often, but thanks for peaking in every once in awhile, it is fun to read your comments!)

Brittney said...

Very good thoughts. I agree that we need to support our president and I pray that he can do everything that he has said that he can. If he can do those things then I have nothing to complain about.