Monday, May 2, 2011

Our Miracles!

UPDATE: Eliza was re-weighed this morning & there must have been a problem with the scale yesterday. She actually weighs 6 lbs 5 oz which is considerably bigger then Alisha. This may be due to twin-to-twin transfusion OR Alisha's umbilical cord issue. In a way I'm grateful (I had growth ultrasounds every two weeks with the perinatologists) that it wasn't detected because I believe they would have had me have the girls a lot earlier. They are healthy & should be out of the NICU by noon today if they can maintain their temperature.

The girls will be staying in the NICU tonight as a precaution so I thought I'd take a quick moment to share some photos & jot down some of my experiences today.



First off...they are both healthy & beautiful. We recognize how blessed we truely are and I feel wonderful.


We checked in the hospital at 7 am. I was at almost at 4cm and was very insistant I not have pitocin because of complications from it with both boys. I was worried that this would force a c-section so they broke Alisha's water & we waited to see what happened. Just prior to this they did an ultrasound and it appeared that Eliza had turned slightly sideways.We knew that Alisha would not need a c-section, but there was still a chance that Eliza would need a c-section.


Between the anti-naseau medication & epidural I spent much of the day sleeping...I was a little loopy. At around 2pm I was at a 7 & my nurse told me they'd take me to the surgical suite once I was an 8; this is a precaution of an emergency c-section is necessary.


Shortly after she noticed that Alisha's heart rate was dropping & that can be an indication she'd dropped into the birth canal. Upon checking she said I only had a ridge left & they rushed me into surgery & called my doctor. At this point I was throwing up a lot & she kept telling me to try to breath through it because I was pushing Alisha out from the pressure.


Getting wheeled to the surgical suite really quickly. I was on oxygen most of the day to help the babies heart rates...mostly Alisha's.

I only could have two people in the OR so my mom had to stay in the hall. Jenna was the picture taker & took 400+ pictures. It's gonna take some serious time going through all of them:) Chris was the daddy:):):) Thankfully Dr. Leavitt arrived just in time & told Chris he could deliver the babies. Here's their preparation stance.It only took 1 contraction to get Alisha out. I got to hold her for about 3 seconds before she was passed through to the NICU.

Eliza was much higher but with a couple of pushes we got her low enough to get her into position & break her water. 5 minutes later she was born at 4:47pm. Again, I held her for a quick moment & she was passed on through to the NICU. Chris headed to the NICU & I finished up.

One additional blessing that was discovered after my Dr. analyzed the placenta was that Alisha's umbilical cord was attached to the sac, not the placenta (there is a medical term but I don't remember it.) This could have caused some serious complications through out my pregnancy.

This is right after I delivered both girls. I felt so good minus that shakes.
So finally I got a report on the girls & here are the stats.


Alisha Murphy: 4 lbs. 14 oz, 18.5 inches long
Eliza Murphy: 5 lbs. 2 oz, 20.5 inches long

At this point I had to wait a couple hours for the epidural to wear off before I could go see the girls so Jenna went back & forth bringing me pictures of the girls. Here was bath-time. Eliza seems to be more mellow and Alisha more sassy!

A happy bath taker Eliza.



An unhappy Alisha.

Two very happy brothers peaking through the NICU windows.
First time seeing Alisha


First time holding Eliza.
I can't wait for when we can put them together & take some pictures. Because of the size difference we can tell them apart but all their features are the same including a chin dimple. I'm now off to feed both babies:):):)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! They are beautiful!

Jake and Aleesa said...

Yay!!!! Congratulations! Here's a fun fact for you.....the "girls" were born exactly 24 weeks from the "boys"!!!!

Brandi said...

Oh Kimri! I am all teary eyed now! Geez... CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so elated for you and your family. I love their names, and am so excited that they are doing well. They are absolutely beautiful. I can't believe how much biger Eliza is...2 inches longer! That is just crazy. Augghhhh I am just so excited for you! If you ever need an extra set of hands, I would love to help anytime anyday!
Good Luck & I love ya.

Maegan said...

Congrats Murphy's! You are Superwoman Kim:) What TWO little beauties you now have!

Linda said...

Congrats!! That is so exciting! I'm so happy that they are both here safely! They are beautiful!

Linda said...

Oh... one more thing... Dr. Leavitt was my doctor too! Isn't he awesome!? We loved him!

Audra said...

Congrats! I am so happy for your cute little family!

Rachel said...

Congratulations! I can't believe you've already blogged it! You're amazing! AND you look AWESOME! I hope they will be able to get out of the nicu soon so you can snuggle them all you want! They are beautiful! I love all that dark hair!

Melanie said...

Congratulations! They are soo beautiful...glad everything went well.

Em and Russ said...

Such Beautiful little girls Kimri!!! Good job!!!!! It's great to hear they are doing so well and even out of the NICU already!!!!

Congratulations!!! Oh yeah, congrats to Chris too.

Russ

Holly said...

First off I must say you are totally a trooper for pushing both babies out!!! Great work!! Secondly, they are beautiful and you looked great too! Keep us posted on all your updates! So glad all went well and you are doing so well!

Stephanie said...

Oh my word! So amazing. Congratulations, Kimri!! That is so great. They're beautiful and will be such a wonderful addition to your family! Congrats again.

Nield Moments said...

CONGRATS!!!! They truly are little miracles, & cute ones at that! :D

the Murphys said...

Congratulations! They are absolutely beautiful and we are thrilled to hear that their NICU stay is short. I know it's hard to not be able to hold them when you want to. Twins is definitely an amazing journey, full of lots of fun and surprises. Call me if you ever need anything! And sleep whenever possible!! The housecleaning will wait! :)