Sunday, June 14, 2009

A true cowboy!!!

Yesterday we got to celebrate the life of my Grandpa Blane who passed last August. His friends put together a roping to celebrate his life. Originally this was going to be at my grandpa's outdoor arena but rained forced the event into an inside area....I really wish we could have done it at his like old times. There was such a large turnout of cowboys plus a huge gathering of family. I was amazed how far some came to be there.

They had a beautiful saddle for the winner plus some other prizes. We (all of Blane's children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, brothers) also got to go out into the middle of the arena to announce a scholarship program in his & my grandma's name. A page out of my grandpa's journal was read (he was an excellent journal writer) about college & how he earned a 4.0 & believed the value of education. My aunt announced that he mailed all of the kids a copy of his transcript to motivate them to work hard & earn a 4.0 too. The ONLY class on his transcript....roping. He was a funny man:):):)


Afterwards we all got together to enjoy food!!! My family is so wonderful & it was fun to visit with everyone. My grandpa had to be smiling down yesterday.

2 comments:

Brittney said...

I wish we could have been there! I'm glad to hear there was such a great turnout. Grandpa was so loved!

Holly said...

Wow! That is so cool! What good friends to do that for your grandpa. It shows what a good man that friends are still remembering and celebrating his life.