Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Despite my BEST efforts

I really would love to be that person that can grow anything, eat out of their garden, and have fresh everything on hand at all times.



I've TRIED so hard.....




We've lived in our home for 3 years this summer. Obviously our first summer any thoughts of a garden or anything else was pushed to the side so we worked and made it happen our 2nd year. We also wanted fruit so we planted a dwarf peach tree...these take a couple of years to yield fruit so it requires patience. In addition to this I planted strawberries that year to and let them create shoots...this also requires patience since they don't produce strawberries while they are doing this. This summer my peach tree died...I'm not sure why but I sadly pulled it out of the ground.


SO....fast forward to this year. I planned ahead and planted my own starts in a little greenhouse in April; tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, peppers, pumpkins, and flowers. One big wind storm later (we have a number of these) my poor green house tipped over and I was only able to recover a few small things including my pumpkins. Fast forward a couple of months...I had just had the babies and decided I wanted to plant some raspberry starts and forgot about them for a couple of days and they were too dried out to plant. Fast forward another month; I had a girl come over to do some weeding for me since I have a good size garden and a ton of flower beds. After she left I went out to check my newly weeded garden to discover I no longer had strawberries or pumpkins.


So now...I don't have peaches, raspberries, or strawberries.


So last night I was very envious of another. We went over to our friends for FHE. This last year they've put together an amazing garden and little farm. The boys got to collect eggs from their chickens, chase their rabbits (they were going to kill two that evening to eat), milk their goat, pick raspberries, onions, and peas.

I'm not sure I'd ever have the energy for all of that but wouldn't it be so healthy and fun to be able to walk out your back door and get everything you need for dinner. They even make their own cheese out of their goat milk. My boys really enjoyed it and I think it'd teach such a good work ethic if each child had a responsibility. Someday maybe...at my rate I'd take one step forward and go back two:)

No comments: