Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Twin Update!

Some of you may have heard that we had a few crazy things going on so I thought I'd write a quick post about what's going with the girls.

A couple of weeks ago I got a phone call saying the Dr.'s from Salt Lake wouldn't be coming down this go round but that they could do the appointment video conference. So yesterday I had this appointment....I checked into the hospital for this appointment.

The ultrasound tech seemed to struggle getting good measurements because they were moving so much (this didn't surprise me since my stomach is constantly being kicked). Once the Dr. came on there was some concerns because they were measuring about 20% apart. He didn't like not being able to confirm and check things on his own and felt they were identical but wasn't able to tell definately so he told me he needed me to come down to Utah within a day or two.

So a couple hours later my mom & I headed to Utah for my appointment this morning. After a very thorough visit it's been determined that they are identical and they DO share a placenta. He said the shared placenta can be a large concern because of twin-to-twin transfusion. One is currently measuring at 1lb7oz and the other is 1lb3 oz....both a little over a week behind. The smaller size is probably a result of the two vessel umbilical cords.

So there is nothing alarming or super scary at this point BUT there are a lot risks. I now will have an ultrasound every other week and at 30 weeks a weekly non-stress test. This is to monitor their growth. If there does become a huge problem there is a surgical procedure in LA they do with a lazer to split the shared vessels....this would be a last resort.

Thankfully there's nothing to be worried about at this point & there's nothing to do but monitor them. I'm so grateful that I don't have to go on bedrest and can have normal activity. I've been working on their nursery & am getting excited:):):)

4 comments:

Rachel said...

So glad things are going ok at this point. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you!

Brandi said...

Oh my goodness! I am so elated for you! Identical twins...OH MY!!! I just can hardly believe it. I am so glad that things are good for now. Let me know if there is anythig at all that I can do to help.

Linda said...

Identical twin girls!! How exciting!! Hopefully everything will continue to go smoothly and they will be healthy beautiful girls! Have fun with the nursery! :-)

LundHOMEpage said...

Good to hear! How fun that you get to have girls and two of them. I can't wait to see pics of the nursery.