Friday, January 15, 2010

ready to share the details...

We are starting a business. It's been in the works for a little while.

Here's how it started...from the beginning.

Last September we were contacted by a guy in our ward. We knew him very little...our interaction consisted of a party that he invited us to & "hi" as we passed in the halls at church. That's it! He told us of an idea he had for a business & that he didn't have the time to do it (he's a BUSY Doctor with 10 children) but had the money. We were very surprised he contacted us.

In September I was really struggling with balance. I can honestly say I've struggled with leaving the work force. The funny thing is a face reader (there's a fancier name but I can't remember) read my face & told me that I was struggling because I wasn't using my mental faculties. Do not get me wrong...I love my children. I love everything about being a mom. I just had worked so hard to make something of myself only to leave it and feel like my mind was used to determine what to make for dinner, what to do with my kids, ect. I've been fearful that all I had learned, worked for, would be lost if I didn't use it. I've worried if I had to re-enter the workforce for financial reasons that I would have to start at the bottom....work like crazy to get to the top. My husbands in sales and with the economy it's a fear...thankfully we've been so blessed.

The timing of all this seemed to coincide with when I was most struggling not using my mind to figure things out, put together processes, pushing myself. We asked our partner, "why us?" He told us he prayed about it.

Ok.....so are you wondering what this business is and why am I sharing this today since it's been in the works for awhile? We officially received our Auto dealership license today. This isn't a traditional dealership. We've structured it so that the customer decides the car that they want, we find it for them for at auction for a $600 fee. If you are familiar with the markup on cars this is a HUGE savings. PLUS, we will shortly roll out a referral program where almost half of our fees goes to the referrer. This is a huge opportunity for anyone to make extra money. I'll share the details when we are ready to roll out this program.

Since we became official today we received a big book & CD Rom on all the paperwork. I definitely will be using my mental faculties to figure it all out:) We plan to waive our fee on the first couple of cars we sell in exchange for patience in the paperwork. For now, we'd like to keep it simple & sale cars within the state although we do hope to expand nationally at some point. You may visit our website at http://www.mvautobuyers.com/ but please know that it's a work in progress & we plan to make it interactive including the addition of the "initial inquiry form" where anyone can place their wish list & price for a car & we'll begin our search.

I think it's important to mention that these last couple of months I've been so content. I'm not sure if its this little bit of extra brain stimulation. It really hasn't taken up a lot of extra time...I know these next couple of months will be busy as everything is structured but I think in the long run it will be a rather simple operation (crossing my fingers) & won't require a lot of time from my children. I believe it will provide teaching moments & opportunities for my kids...we definitely hope that we can involve them & teach them how to work.

I'm amazed at how blessed our family has been. It humbles me & makes me want to be a better person so that I can be worthy of them. AND thank you to those that have known & been so helpful & encouraging.

6 comments:

Brittney said...

That's awesome Kim. You always were such a go getter. You already are fantastic mom but this will just give you a little something for yourself as well

I think it's a great business idea. Matt use to go to auction just for fun with a guy who sort of did this. He said it was crazy how much cheaper the cars were that way. Too bad we were never in the market when he was going. Good luck, oh and SEE YOU IN 5 DAYS-WAHOO!!!!

Brandi said...

Kimri this is wonderful. I am so excited for you to be on this adventure. I would love to know some details...email me at parkfamily@live.com so that I can get your email address.

I completely understand what you mean about having dinner the biggest decision you make during the day. Somedays its just hard. Sometimes when I start thinking about doing something different I just feel so selfish that I cant be content "just" being a mom.

I will pray for you that this is successful. I think it has all the potential in the world. What a great idea.

Anonymous said...

It is great to read your thoughts about this as I hear MV Auto via Chris so often!!! You have such a great way with words and are able to express yourself so well. (don't get me started on the wonderful pictures!)
I going to now go look up J's picture in the newspaper!
What a fabulous family this old lady has !!! Love Maggi, Mom, & Grandma

Holly said...

Wow, GOOD LUCK!! Let know how it goes! It will be fun and give you the challenge you miss! If anyone can do it you guys could!

Nield Moments said...

Congtrats on this new adventure!!! I think if anyone can make this go it is definetly you guys! Let us know when you are ready for a sale in Wyoming- we are possibly looking for something in the (near?) future.

Linda said...

Kimri, this is very cool! In fact, I might be interested in being one of your customers! :-) Seth and I want to get a Chevy Uplander, preferably 4WD. We won't be in the market for a few months, but maybe you could keep your eye out for us on that. :-)