Thursday, November 1, 2012

Jaden....and football

When it comes to stubborn, I've met my match with Jaden.

He's a tough one to get to do something he doesn't want to do.  Practicing his part for the primary program was impossible.  When I constantly told him he needed to practice it he'd refuse.  What made me finally shut my mouth was when he recited his part from last year....what a memory.  I figured if he read it once he probably knew it so I handed it to him and crossed my fingers he'd actually recite it from memory when he got up.  Fortunately he did but I was definately holding my breath.

Football was the same thing.  We stopped putting Jaden in sports because of the battle we'd have.  If it wasn't his idea, he wouldn't want to do it.  We were so sad as we drove by all the flag football teams playing at a school by our home and wished we had signed Jaden up.  A couple days later my friend texted me and said they needed another person on their team and wondered if Jaden wanted to do it but we only had until midnight to sign him up.  Chris put his foot down and told Jaden he was playing.

The first few practices and games were tough.  He'd fight us to go but slowly, even though he wouldn't admit it, I could tell her was really enjoying it.  He didn't always like to listen and one practice he was goofing off and the assistant coach turned to Jaden and said "did you hear one word I just said" and without missing a beat Jaden repeated word for word what he had just said.  IT'S EXHAUSTING!!!!

The last 3 games is when I saw Jaden finally understand the concept of how to play and he did awesome.  When he first started I wasn't sure if this would be a sport he was good at but towards the end it made me think we maybe should push him in this direction a little bit:). 

The best news of all....he's asked when he can sign up for soccer.  Not really a winter sport.  We are trying to talk him into basketball. 

No comments: