Sunday, July 1, 2012

Tae Kwon Do

When Jaden turned 4 and was old enough to do the city sport programs I signed him up for all of them.  I was determined that he was going to be the best at all the sports and I was going to have a little "All Star" on my hands.  You can imagine my disappointment when he hated all of them and would often refuse to play or put in minimal effort.  So when he was 5 I gave up.  He didn't get to do anything!!!! 

Last winter we tried again with Ice skating because he begged and he had done so well the previous year at a practice lesson but it was a repeat, "I'm too cold."

So for the past 4 months Jaden has begged to do Tae Kwon Do and for the past 4 months I've reminded him how quickly he gets tired of something and that I don't like the fight getting him there.

We started researching different places and really wanted to do it at our gym because I could put the girls in daycare.  He did a trial class and the teacher was amazed at his coordination for his age but we weren't convinced.  It's a year contract and I dread the thought of dragging him to two lessons a week.

We then got a thing in the mail for a 7 week summer program from a place my friend raved about.  We decided to bite the bullet and try it.

Jaden has only went twice but he's went with a big smile on his face and he can't wait to go back.  On his 2nd lesson he had to test for his white belt.

I would love it if this works out and is something he does year-round.

I do worry about how to keep this up twice a week with 3 younger ones.  Chris does not want Jaden to take from the guy at our gym (he thought he was way to hard on the kids and loved the techniques they used here.)  I do know that we'll make it work if it's something he gives his all!!!

No comments: