Friday, September 26, 2008

Where did my little boy go...


Jaden is growing right before my eyes. I just watch him in awe at the things that he does & discovers. The phrases that come out of his mouth keeps me laughing all day.

Yesterday I took Jaden for testing with the school district. For awhile we've been very concerned about his speech. In March we had his hearing checked to see if maybe he didn't hear very well & therefore wasn't saying the words clearly. His hearing results were better then average. At this point he was put on a waiting list with a Speech Pathologist in Rexburg. About a week after we moved I received a phone call letting us know they finally could set him up an appointment. Nice timing!!!

Anyways there were a few different people that told me to have him tested by the school district because they have early intervention programs & if he qualifies we don't have to pay, yippeee!!! They called me back two weeks ago & set the appointment for yesterday. About a week ago I finally took Jaden for his 3 year check & I mentioned to his new doctor that I was concerned about his speech & that I had an appointment with the school district. His doctor said he thought his speech was fine & that very few 3 year olds spoke clearly. So then my doubting begins & I'm worried I'm one of those over-concerned mothers. Chris reassures me that it's better to be safe then sorry.

Because of Jaden's unclear words we've been working really hard to make him repeat words that he doesn't say correctly. As we were driving to the appointment I started asking Jaden to repeat some of his more difficult words & they were coming out perfectly. Again, I'm worried that I'm wasting someones time.

The appointment was an hour & I got to watch Jaden with each activity. The first activites were puzzle types; as an FYI Jaden excels at these types of things so then I'm really worried they are going to think I'm crazy. I don't know how they rate certain things so I'm not sure how he did, we'll find out in a couple of weeks, but it was very enjoyable watching Jaden try to figure out the different acitivities. The comments that would come out of his mouth were of course hilarious.

I love this little guy & if he passes it means he's where he should be & if he doesn't we get free services. Hopefully we don't wait too long:)

1 comment:

Brittney said...

Is it called "Child Find" out there? If so, it's the same program that Kaleb was in for two years. He did end up having significant hearing problems causing the speech challenges but as it turns out, it was a great thing for us. It was an amazing program (and even more amazing because it was free). I remember being so worried back then that he would struggle so much in school because of these challenges but it was obviously in vain...the kids a genious. As he likes to point out, he knows more than I do. :)

Either way it turns out, at least it will put your mind at ease.